Middle School and (possibly) High School students have a choice of the EZ Path or the Unrestricted Research Path. During the selection of the type of research, the Student and Teacher/Advisor choose the desired path. All student projects that will not qualify under EZ Path must register their projects for the fair by December 1st to be reviewed by the fair Scientific Review Committee (SRC).
EZ Path Projects MUST NOT involve the following items:
- Blood products, fresh tissue, teeth & bodily fluids
- Human Subjects *
- Nonhuman vertebrate animals or their parts
- Potentially pathogenic agents, including all bacteria
- Recombinant DNA
- Controlled substances
- Carcinogenic, mutagenic & toxic chemicals
- Explosive chemicals
- Radioactive materials
- Compressed gases
- Hazardous substances or devices
- High voltage equipment
- Class 3 and 4 Lasers
- Ionization radiation (X-rays or nuclear energy)
- Only the completed online registration is required.
Note: CSEF may determine your project does not qualify for EZ Path. See exclusions above and contact us if there are questions.
Some human subject projects may qualify for EZ Path. See ‘Exempt Studies’ on page 8 of the International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF) Rules. Other human projects can be approved by your school IRB but do not qualify for EZ Path and ISEF form 4 (at least) will be required by the IRB.