The Connecticut Science & Engineering Fair needs about 300 judges for a successful fair each year. Individuals with experience in the physical sciences and in the life sciences are needed to participate as judges on one or both of the two days indicated below. Judges are needed for regular category judging, special category and special awards judging. If you know of someone who would like to participate as a judge, please refer them to this page. We appreciate your interest in our program and welcome your participation as a judge. Deadline for registration: March 10.
The following brief descriptions may help you decide which of the judging activities you prefer:
Urban School Challenge – Judging Interviews – Tuesday Fair Week, 11:30am to 6:30pm (3 hour assignments) TUESDAY JUDGING CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER!
- Preliminary Judging Interviews during Project Setup, Tuesday, Fair Week: 11:30am to 6:30pm (3 hour assignments)
- Finalist Judging – Thursday, Fair Week: 8:30am to 1:15pm
- Third year for this category being piloted for urban Priority District public Schools. (See list of school towns) Life and Physical Sciences judges for finalist judging only. Help us launch this opportunity for city school students!
Preliminary Judging – Wednesday, Fair Week: 8:45am to 2:00pm STARTING TIME DELAYS EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW STORM! Check back Tuesday evening!
- Students are not present
- View all of the projects in your assigned category
- Work jointly with other judges as a team
- Rank projects into 1st (highest), 2nd and 3rd honors. The judging criteria will be provided
1st honors projects are the finalists interviewed on Thursday.
Finalist Judging – Thursday, Fair Week: 8:30am to 1:15pm (2:00pm for Senior Life & Senior Physical Sciences)
- Students are present at their projects to describe their work
- View the finalists’ projects in your assigned category
- Work independently of the other judges to foster a one-on-one exchange with the student
- Projects are scored numerically. The judging criteria will be provided
On Wednesday and Thursday, a continental breakfast will be available and a judges buffet lunch will be provided. On Tuesday, a buffet lunch and dinner will be available. Refreshments will be available of all judging days.
To register as a Connecticut Science & Engineering Fair Judge, please fill out a judges registration form. Once approved, you will receive a login to the judge’s page where you will be able to view the judging documentation.
For judging related questions, please contact Dr. Treese Hugener-Campbell, Chief of Judging.